What is a Phishing Test and How to Use It Correctly?Dilsu Tanal
Training your employees and getting them to the level that they can use them against phishing and cyberattacks is not something you can do in one day. It is very important to be patient and determined. Moreover, you must be willing to teach. In this respect, phishing tests are a great way to present real-life scenarios to your employees. This way you can increase their involvement in company security and improve their behavior. That’s why our topic in this article is ‘What is a Phishing Test and How to Use It Correctly?‘.
What is a Phishing Test and How to Use It Correctly?
Fake phishing emails or sites sent to employees by cybersecurity and IT professionals are called phishing tests. With phishing tests, you can see if your employees click on a suspicious link without hesitation, and train them to report such phishing attacks. In fact, according to recent research, the phishing test doubles the phishing awareness of your employees compared to other classical phishing trainings.
What is a Phishing Test and How to Use It Correctly?: Step by Step Phishing Test
1. Train your employees so they can detect and prevent a phishing attempt.
The main purpose of the phishing test is to train your employees so they can detect and prevent a phishing attempt. Trying to catch your employees’ mistakes without training and informing them in advance can be very inefficient. You are likely to fail to raise awareness of cybersecurity when you use this method. Educating is the first step in raising awareness because it helps you truly train your employees, rather than just pointing out their mistakes.
- First, explain to your employees what phishing is and what it isn’t. For this, you can give a short training to your employees and give the necessary tips. Then test it in a controlled environment to prepare your employees for potential phishing attacks.
- Set up a company email account for them to report to and tell them to send any suspicious emails there. Your IT team can then review the emails sent to this account. You can also use our Incident Responder. With this tool, your employees can report emails with a single button.
- You should encourage your employees to contact the IT team when they notice a suspicious email. In this way, you can have them send phishing emails to you using internal communication tools. By doing this, your employees will also feel more comfortable.
2. Inform Relevant Departments and Managers.
Phishing is one of the most frequently used and most powerful methods by hackers. In addition, when they use social engineering methods, it may become impossible to resist. In social engineering, hackers trick and manipulate people using their own social connections. Expert hackers often take advantage of this method. Because employees trust things that are familiar to them more quickly. For this reason, hackers often use familiar names, companies or websites in their attacks. This method increases the chances of success. If you want to test your employees’ awareness of phishing emails, you should use social engineering techniques, too. It’s easy to refuse when an unfamiliar email address asks for your personal information. But if the same email appears to be coming from your CEO, you may fall victim to phishing.
What is a Phishing Test and How to Use It Correctly?: The Importance of Phishing Tests
Employees can see different types of phishing and their characteristics thanks to these phishing simulations. Moreover, they realize the harm that clicking on malicious links and sharing private information can do to the company. In other words, phishing tests increase the cybersecurity awareness of employees in a secure environment. It also helps you identify company vulnerabilities and then remediate them.
But for this, you first need to find a phishing test tool that will help you achieve your goals. It is possible to find many free and paid phishing test tools according to your budget, experience and comfort level. After choosing this tool, you can start planning. Our Phishing Simulator is perfect for this job. We take advantage of current user trends and update our tool regularly so that you can get effective results. Thanks to our simulator, we offer you an extensive and customizable library of thousands of phishing templates. For more information, you can visit our site and try our tools for free.