What is a Phishing Attack & How To Get Protected Against ItOrhan Sari
What is a Phishing Attack and How To Get Protected Against Phishing Attacks – One of the biggest problems on the internet today is the lack of phishing awareness. In this blog, I will talk about what is phishing and how to get protected against it. Also, we will discuss how to build security awareness against phishing attacks.
1-) What is a Phishing Attack?
The basic definition of phishing is a hacker’s action attempting to gather your personal information for evil purposes. Victims mostly are aimed for their bank account credentials, and phishing attacks cases usually end up with a drained bank account. Just under one innocent link, you can face tons of evil purposes. Thus always keep in mind to be extremely careful before taking any action on suspicious emails, or it’s inevitable to lose your personal information.
2-) How Do Phishers Attack?
As technology advances, hackers find so many convincing ways to scam users online. There are a few common ways they use and there isn’t a specific way to spot if a link is a phishing site. Yet, we will mention a few common ways of techniques that fraudsters mostly use:
- They will try to get pop-up ads on your page and these ads will mostly be about winning a prize in a contest that you aren’t even sure if you have taken part in.
- Saying that you’ve won a brand new car with a lot of money, sometimes users trust these links and click on them, it results in their personal information getting stolen.
- Simply anything that comes weird and suspicious to you, it is not only that, they also duplicate logos and other details of the original sites to make you grow trust on them. These are the common phishing ways of fraudsters.
a) They will mostly play tricks on links, this includes abbreviations and shortened fake links. If they were the link that they show you but literally aren’t, we can explain it better by wearing a mask.
f.e: thislinkdirectstophishingsite.com forces to show if it was a bityl address.
b) There is a quick tip that we always maintain for users to know and check out the expanded version of the link they send you through an application or online site. This way you will be even more steady against phishing attacks.
c) Irrelevant/strange characters should ring a bell; legitimate sites never use irrelevant characters on their site links.
d) However, setting malware protection and keeping your firewall settings on recommended are pretty helpful. This way you won’t only prevent phishing but many other types of attacks.
Last but not least, think twice before taking an action on the internet. Make sure that you are where you want to be on the site, irrelevant links shouldn’t distract users.
See our other cybersecurity blogs below:
- Free Anti Phishing Software
- What is Cybersecurity Training? Why is cybersecurity training necessary?
- Cybersecurity Training – Cyber Security Awareness Training: The Biggest Threat is Lack of Cybersecurity Training in Lockdown
- Insider Threats – HOW IT REALLY HAPPENED: NINJIO SEASON 2, EPISODE 10, BEWARE OF THE INSIDER
- Cyber Security Awareness Training and Improving Anti-Phishing Behavior
- US Hospitals Have Increased Email Security Against CEO Fraud
- Phishing Security Awareness Training: 15 Types of Phishing Attacks You Should Know in 2020
- Why Is Cyber Security Awareness Training Important?
- Top Brands Used in Phishing Attacks in 2020
- URL Tracking Systems are Abused for Phishing Attacks
- Phishing Scams Using Text Messages
- PENSION PLAN TELESCAM – VISHING – PHONE PHISHING: NINJIO SEASON 2, EPISODE 9
- DocuSign Data Breach – HOW IT REALLY HAPPENED – ELECTROSIGN OF THINGS TO COME
- WannaCry Ransomware Attack: All You Should Know
- 2020 Email Security Solutions
- Are you safe? Use the Best Anti-Phishing Software That Can Help You Fight Against Phishing Attacks in 2020
- The Future of Cyber Crime
- Data Breaches in 2019
- Best Practices Against Email Attacks
- Rethinking Anti-phishing Solutions
- Two-Factor Authentication Phishing Scam
- Bot Malware Attacking Financial Mobile Applications
- Social Engineering
- 2020 Email Security Trends and Challenges Organisations Need to Know
- Badge Surfer Attack – Physical Security – SAUDI ARAMCO BREACH
- Antivirus Tools Can’t Stop Phishing Attacks
- Cybersecurity Awareness Training for Employees
- ELECTRONIC VOTE MACHINE HACKING – HOW IT REALLY HAPPENED: NINJIO SEASON 1, EPISODE 11,
- Keep Your Institution Safe with A Phishing Simulation Software!
- 2020 Phishing Trends Report
- Working in a Coronavirus World: Best Remote Working Strategies
- What Are Insider Threats and How Can You Mitigate Them?
- Phishing Attacks with Legitimate URLs
- Whaling Attacks Are on the Rise
- Using Real Brands in Phishing Simulations
- Top Spear Phishing Threats and Trends
- Social Media Phishing
- The Ransomware Risks in Office Files